Sunday, July 10, 2011

Going Home

Official date of arrival to the USA: July 28, 2011
Even though I’ve only been in the Philippines for 6 months, I still anticipate that I will have culture shock in some way or another. It is hard to say goodbye to Palawan and the friends that I have made here. There are many things about this place that I am going to miss, including:

·         The other missionaries
·         The Palawanos
·         The simplicity of life
·         Living with little
·         The mountains
·         Hiking everywhere
·         Working in the clinic
·         Speaking Pelawan
·         Eating fresh pineapple/papaya/mangoes every day
·         Trying new foods all the time
·         Reading sometimes hours every day
·         Going to bed usually before 9 pm


Palawan is all that I ever hoped it would be, and more. I love jungle life, I love the people, I love the language. Although it is hard to leave, I know that God is leading me to another era in my life, and there are definite things that I am excited about. These include but are not limited to:

·         Spending time with my family
·         Seeing friends again
·         Having multiple communication avenues available at any given time
·         Understanding all the conversations around me
·         Saying anything I want to say
·         Driving my car
·         Smelling pine trees
·         Hiking on dry trails
·         Putting on a pair of tennis shoes and shorts and going for a run
·         Eating fresh blueberries/raspberries/peaches every day
·         Eating homemade bread
·         Cooking in a kitchen where everything is available

Palawan is very close to my heart and always will be. I have laughed, cried, grown, stressed, and loved. Words cannot describe how thankful I am that God led me here and gave me the opportunity to be a missionary to the people in these mountains. I don’t know how much difference I made in any one person’s life, but I do know how much of a difference they made in my life, and I will ever be grateful.   



6 comments:

Brian said...

Shama, you have been amazing! I am so glad that we were able to be in Palawan together for a while. I like the pictures of the muddy faces! I am sure you have been having too much fun since I left! Where is that?

Ellen said...

Shama, I just found your block from a link your Mom put on Facebook. It is amazing. So Allie Westermyer is wtih you over there? That is awesome--she's a special lady too. Just know that we are upholding you and all your family in prayer. I think you are doing the right thing in coming home to special time with your parents. May you continue to have God's peace in your heart.

Mom said...

Oh honey, You are such a blessing to us and we look forward to seeing you, even though we wish the circumstances were different. I know that God has big plans for your future and that He will eventually take you back to the mission field overseas, but for now, He has one right here on the home front! Love you and can't wait to see you! Mom

Laurel said...

Shama, I am praying for you as you come back to the States! It's not easy to return, but the same God that guided you to Palawan and gave you strength to serve there will continue to strengthen you for what lies ahead.

Teresa said...

Dear Shama,
You don't know me, but I feel like I kind of know you. We share mutual friends, such as the Waters, and live in Eureka, not so far away from your home. (I'm also Brian's aunt).

I have enjoyed following your blogs and getting a bit acquainted with you that way.

We have been saddened to hear about your father. My heart goes out to your mother and all of you, not to mention your dad. I have been through just what you are going through, and I can testify that however gripping the grief, Christ is the perfect balm for the soul. One day when I was paralyzed by the crushing grief at facing the loss of my dad, the thought pressed into my mind that Jesus had been through that, too. He had to say good-bye to the earthly dad who raised Him. It was such a calming thought then, and has stayed with me since.

Praying that your heart will be at rest, and for your safe return.

Blessings,
Teresa K

shama said...

Thanks for all the prayers. What a wonderful experience Palawan was! I loved it and am so thankful I had such an incredible opportunity.

Brian: That picture was taken at Biluhiyu (main swimming hole we always go to)

Ellen: I was with Allie W. for over 6 wonderful months. We had a great time together and made many wonderful memories.

Teresa: Glad you have enjoyed my blog, and thank you for your words of encouragement. What a wonderful thing that Jesus knows and has experienced our pain. He can truly empathize.