Thursday, August 25, 2011

Bitter Sweet

Screaming and crying filled the air as we slowly pulled our backpacks over our shoulders. Tears flowed freely down my cheeks; sadness filled my heart. It was with great agony that Tina, Kyle and I made our way out of the mountains Sunday afternoon on July 24, 2011. I have never experienced such a traumatic goodbye, and can't say I ever hope to go through something like that again.

Nubim, Meyni, Me


I will never forget the tears of my friends, especially one of my closer friends, Meyni. She hiked up the mountain with us past her village a ways and after hugging goodbye, she squatted beside the trail and wailed as I have never heard before. I had to hike away with that sound ringing in my ears. Tears came readily throughout that day and the next, as I later said goodbye to the boys that carried our stuff out of the mountains, and finally to the other missionaries with whom I had grown to love deeply.

It's not uncommon for guys to carry more than 50 lbs on their heads.




My heart will always be with the people in Palawan and I hope to go back someday to visit them. Even though I don't have the assurance that I will be able to see them again on earth, the pain is softened with the assurance that I will get to see my dear friends again when Jesus comes back.

Last meal with all the missionaries (except Carrine)

Although it was hard to leave and I miss Palawan immensely, I know that God lead in my decision to come home early and I am so happy to spend time with family this summer. Back to mowing the lawn, picking blueberries, baking pies, family worships, and weeding in the garden is a refreshing transition back to life in America.

Delicious blueberries

I am looking forward to starting a nursing job in a couple months and getting good experience while still being near family. I know that if it weren't for your prayers and support, I would not be able to look back on my time in the Philippines with such fondness. God grew me in ways I could never have imagined and I would never trade that experience for anything. Thank you!

Family
 *Slideshow of experience in Philippines to come

2 comments:

Laurel said...

Thanks for sharing, Shama.

I can't wait for heaven.

Brian said...

Shama, from your description I could almost hear them crying as you walked away, and I almost cried myself reading it. Hopefully we can plan a trip to visit again sometime soon. Wow! those blueberries are huge!