Tuesday, June 28, 2011

To Go or Not to Go?

The evening air was cool, but I began to sweat as I dialed the number. I could feel my pulse beating in my head as fear filled my heart. I didn’t know what the response on the other end of the phone was going to be, and as much as I wanted to, maybe it would be easier if I didn’t know. But I had to find out sometime. This was one of the first times that I really didn’t want to call home.
“Hello?”
“Hi, Mom, What did you guys find out?”
“Not good. The cancer has spread to Dad’s bones.”
My fears were confirmed. It was a little over a week after getting back to the Philippines from the States when I found out that Dad’s prostate cancer had spread to his bones. What was he going to do? How long did he have? Would I ever see him again? Should I go home early? Should I get a plane ticket right then? Questions saturated my mind and tears flooded my eyes.
The comfort of dear friends enveloped me like a warm blanket after I got off the phone. The assurance of Divine wisdom filled me with peace.
I didn’t make a decision right away; I wanted to know God’s will. Every morning found me on my secret rock by the water fall, drawing strength from the Water of Life. After much prayer and counsel from Godly friends, I made my decision.
I didn’t feel ready to leave; I had my mind set on being here until November. I felt like I was just getting to the point where I could actually have meaningful conversations with the people, where I was passing the point of acquaintance and building actual friendships. If I left, that would leave only Allie to run the clinic alone—a huge job. On the other hand, there is always going to be a mission field, but I will not always have my Dad. There is truly no man that I am closer to or have a deeper respect for. The doctors said that nothing would probably happen to him before November, but one never knows. I realized that for me to have quality time with my dad, it was important for me to go home early and work with him at home for part of the summer.
I will be coming home the end of July to spend time with my family. That will leave Allie for only a few weeks as the sole medical personnel in the mountains. That will give me time to wrap everything up here in Palawan and prepare myself for life in America. Fear, sorrow, anxiety, excitement, eagerness—my emotions are much jumbled. 
Things happen. Plans change. When I get to heaven and see the end from the beginning, I know that I will praise God for the way that He led in my life, and even though there are trials now, I can praise Him anyway. “When you can’t understand, when you can’t see His plan, when you can’t trace His hand, trust His heart.”

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Shama. My prayers are with you and your family. May God give you strength and peace.
Kezzia

Alex said...

You and your family, especially your father, are in my prayers

J-MAR said...

love you, shamie! I am glad you get to spend a little more time in your mission field...praying for you always :-)

Kelsey said...

Dear Shama! I've been praying for you and I'm glad you made a decision. Blessings as you prepare to go home! Love you lots.

EEK said...

Dear friend Shama-- your courage and faith are a testimony to us all of God's love and guidance...you will have some more prayer warriors added to the already-great number.

Rhonda said...

Dear Shama,

I didn't know that the cancer had progressed. Guess, everybody else in my family knew...just not me. I have been praying for your dad. I will be praying even harder and praying for your whole family and for you. The Lord is our Strength and our Comfort too.

Blessings,
Rhonda

Anonymous said...

Shama, my thoughts and prayers are with your dad and the rest of your family. Cancer has an awful way of turning plans upside down. But, God gives us the Grace we need for each day. Many blessings to you as you travel home.

Love,
Jackie

"My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand." John 10:27,28

Caitlin said...

Big Hug!

Alice Elizabeth said...

Oh, Shama! I hadn't heard. I'm so sorry...I've been doing a terrible job of communicating with people this past year. I'm praying for you and your family. God knows the right way for you to go, and the best decisions for your life. Keep trusting Him...He will make it plain in His time. I love you lots!

Andrew Whtilow said...

praying for your family

Tim Taylor said...

Oh Shama.... I'm so sorry to hear this news... :-/

Whenever I hear any news like this it makes me long for heaven soo much more!

Please know that you are in my prayers, sister. I have so much respect for you and your family. I know that God has a special plan through this all. Take comfort in the promises of His word during this time! Romans 8:18, 28!

Mom said...

Dear Shama: I just read your blog and had to shed some more tears. It is difficult to know that you are coming home for the reason that you are, but God knows just where you should be. I think you made a good decision. Someday, in heaven, we will understand why things happen the way that they do--when we can see through God's eyes, and until then, we must trust our Savior and know that He can see the end from the beginning.

Love you much and pray for you always, Mom

shama said...

Thanks so much for all the prayers & encouragement. God is truly a rock in the time of storm.