Saturday, March 23, 2013

Caitlin

The first time I saw her she was playing the piano at a meeting in the spring of 2007. After the meeting, I found out that Caitlin was a nursing student at Southern and played violin in the orchestra, both of which I planned to do the following school year. Something about Caitlin drew me to her, probably the same thing that drew so many others to her. Was it her smile? Maybe it was her genuine kindness, or the love that seemed to flow out of her every move. Later that spring, we went to hear Southern's orchestra perform, and there she was again--principal chair of the second violins. She played with such enthusiasm, as if she would not rather be anywhere else in the world.

When I began attending Southern in the fall, I soon found myself enjoying the blessings of Caitlin's friendship. I started going to the flagpole early every morning for prayer with the group she helped start. I got to play in the orchestra with her, go on weekend trips, travel throughout Europe, sing, pray, exercise, talk, and the list could go on. She always showed the deepest, and at times, most undeserving love.

We worked together at Camp Cherokee with the horses, life guarding, and one summer were even co-counselors. She had such a beautiful way with the campers, always exhibiting gentleness and love. One of the highlights of sharing a cabin with her was singing together to the campers while they fell asleep at night. I wish I could remember all the lullabies she knew.



Caitlin went as a student missionary to Brazil, and when I decided to spend a year in the mountains of the Philippines, she was one of my biggest fans. Caitlin and Jen would sit down with me and help me make lists of things I would need and ways to prepare. Caitlin then decided to make me a couple skirts for my work in the mountains (pictured below). Without the use of patterns, she effortlessly made me two skirts and mailed them to my parents' home the day before I flew out. The next morning when I was in the airport on my way overseas, I got a call from Jen saying that Caitlin was in the hospital. They took her in after she started vomiting blood, and diagnosed her with a very aggresive esophageal cancer. They weren't even sure if she would make it through the night. We praised God that she did.



It was a difficult year for Caitlin as she went through cancer treatments, and difficult for me being so far away. We were so thankful for the period of time afterwards when she was cancer free. Unfortunately, in the fall of 2012 the cancer was discovered to have returned with a vengeance. She decided not to do chemotherapy again, but instead to do a naturopathic route. On March 21, 2013, God allowed Caitlin to rest in peace. Never did she complain, never did she ask God, "Why me?"

So young, so talented, so dedicated. "Why her?", so many of us ask. While on this earth, we may never really understand why, but we can praise God that He is the ultimate conqueror. We will meet Caitlin again, she will play her violin again, run through the woods picking wild flowers, wrap us in her arms of love, open a listening ear, flash her contagious smile. She is sleeping peacefully in Jesus right now, and the next thing we know, we will meet her in the clouds of heaven. But until then, she is deeply missed. Oh Jesus, come quickly!


"But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words." 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18









4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Love, it, Shama! Thanks for sharing your memories. What beautiful skirts! :-)

Josh and Stephanie Lewis said...

Thanks Shama. I didn't really know the story.

Joel said...

mm, Amen!

She added sweet harmony to the lifesongs of everyone she came in contact with. I'm so thankful this is only a brief tacet--I can't wait for the second movement!

Alex said...

Thank you for sharing. I hadn't realized that she was the one who started the tradition of prayer around the flagpole - I was only able to join a few times (going to a different university and all) but I think it is a perfect example of the way in which she encouraged and influenced others to share her love for God.